Patient Care Technician - PCT - Patient Care Tech
Company: Fresenius Medical Care
Location: Oak Park
Posted on: November 24, 2022
Patient Care Technician - PCTJob Description Oak Park, Illinois
Job ID R0052301
Functions as part of the dialysis health care team in providing
safe and effective dialysis therapy for patients under the direct
and training and in compliance with regulations set forth by the
corporation, state, and federal agencies. Responsible for the setup
and operation of hemodialysis machines. Assist in the maintenance
of a safe and clean working environment. Supports the organization
commitment to the Quality Enhancement Program (QEP) and CQI
Activities, including those related to patient satisfaction and
actively participates in process improvement activities that
enhance the likelihood that patients will achieve the organization
Quality Enhancement Goals (QEP).
* Assist other health care members in providing patient specific
detailed education regarding adequacy measures where appropriate -
Online Clearance Monitoring (OLC), Adequacy Monitoring Program
(AMP), Urea Kinetic Modeling (UKM), and regarding disease
* Welcome assigned patients and inquire as to their wellbeing since
their last treatment.
* Evaluate vascular access for patency, perform vascular access
cannulation, and perform administration of heparin as delegated or
as allowed by state Law.
* Obtain necessary pre and post treatment vital signs and weight
and perform vascular access evaluation pre- treatment
* Initiate dialysis treatment according to prescribed orders
including blood flow (QB) and dialysate flow (QD).
* Evaluate intradialytic problems and provide intervention as
prescribed by physician order or as directed.
* Monitor patients' response to dialysis therapy.
* Obtain vital signs prior to reinfusion; perform all relevant
functions necessary for the discontinuation of treatment -
* Discontinue dialysis treatment according to established
procedures and evaluate patient prior to termination of venous
access - standing & sitting blood pressure
* Obtain Hemostasis and apply appropriate dressings.
* Evaluate the patient prior to discharge.
* Perform and record Pre and Post dialysis evaluation, weight, and
vital signs with initial identification
* Responsible for calculating and entry of individual patients'
dialysis machine programming for Ultrafiltration (UF) goal;
treatment time; and UF modeling as prescribed.
* Responsible for ensuring appropriate safety alarms are enabled,
including Narrow Venous Limits, (NVL) 160.
* Record accurate and timely information regarding vital signs and
treatment parameters onto the Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet with
* Responsible for accurate documentation of information related to
patient treatment including completion of Hemodialysis Treatment
Sheet and, if applicable, progress notes.
* Report any significant information and/or change in patient
condition directly to the registered nurse or supervisor.
* Observe patient and conduct machine safety checks according to
facility policy. Report any change or unusual findings to the
registered nurse or supervisor.
* Perform and document any intervention for unusual patient status
and document patients' response to intervention.
* Evaluate patients' vascular access during treatment including
arterial and venous monitoring pressures, provide appropriate
intervention as needed, document and report any unusual findings to
the registered nurse or supervisor.
* Obtain all prescribed laboratory testing and prepare specimens
* Ensure that all blood spills are immediately cleaned with
appropriate disinfectant according to facility policy.
* Prepare, organize, and efficiently utilize supplies and equipment
to prevent wastage.
* Monitors patients performing self-care under the supervision of
* Assists in training of applicable direct patient care staff on
appropriate programs under the supervision of a nurse.
* Collaborates with the Clinical Manager and Education Coordinator
in driving organization quality standards through education
regarding all ESRD regulatory and legal requirements and the
practice of Continuous Quality Improvement.
* Provides developmental support to applicable clinical and
* Participates in implementing educational programs for PCT staff
including contests and other team-based programs.
* Assists in monitoring processes in the delivery of patient care
through regular Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI)
* Follows all organization business policies, procedures and
systems incorporated into training, including compliance with
ethical business practices
* Maintain environmental integrity and aesthetics - ensure all
areas are safe and clean.
* Clean and disinfect dialysis machine surface, chair, equipment,
and surrounding area between treatments according to facility
* Conduct all tasks necessary for preparation for dialysis
treatment and document where appropriate and perform all required
pretreatment dialysis machine alarm testing including Pressure
* Initiate Solution Delivery System (SDS) system.
* Complete and document ongoing participation in Continuous Quality
Improvement (CQI) activities.
* Enters all treatment data into the designated clinical
application in an accurate and timely manner.
* Review treatment sheets for completeness, ensure nursing
signatures are documented, and ensure
omitted entries are completed or corrected by appropriate
* Prepare initial patient chart for admission and compile paperwork
for appropriate placement in chart.
* Prepare/print lab requisitions for prescribed or stat Lab
specimens according to laboratory destination.
* Collect, label, appropriately prepare and store lab samples
according required laboratory specifications.
* Ensure collection of lab specimens by appropriate lab
* Assists in collecting information for infection control
* Acts as a change agent for infection control practices within
clinic. Under the direction of the CM or designee monitors staff
and patient adherence to infection control practices.
* Reinforces new hire employee adherence to infection control
Policies and Procedures
* Supports ongoing staff and patient engagement on infection
control practices under the direction of CM or designee for example
participation in patient lobby days and staff meetings to reinforce
infection control practice.
* Participates in and reinforces infection control education of
patients and families under the direction of the CM or designee as
allowed by state law
TRANSITIONAL CARE UNIT:
* Follows all newly admitted patients through their first 4 weeks
of dialysis and coordinating their transitional dialysis care
* Reinforces all education and care related matters as it relates
to the new patient as allowed by state law
* Liaisons with appropriate FKC staff members to provide the best
patient experience including making sure all disciplines are
scheduled to see patient according to plan.
* Assists in assuring patient understanding or home dialysis
products, benefits of home and how home dialysis can work for
* Sets and preforms a treatment on all machines used in the
transitional care unit.
* Assist in assuring patient understanding of treatment options
including demonstration of the peritoneal dialysis set-up.
* Assists with coordination of transition to patient's modality
* Assists with supply ordering and inventory for TCU
* The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
* Employees are required to take the Ishihara's Color Blindness
test as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing the
Ishihara Test for Color Blindness does not preclude employment. The
Company will consider whether reasonable
accommodations can be made.
* Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and
interaction with patients, facility staff, and physicians. The
position requires travel between assigned facilities and various
locations within the community. Travel to regional, Business Unit
and Corporate meetings may be required.
* The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility
with air temperature control and moderate noise levels. May be
exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials
* The position provides direct patient care that regularly involves
heavy lifting and moving of patients and assisting with
standing and the employee must be able to bend over. The employee
may occasionally be required to push and/or pull equipment,
exerting up to 15 pounds of force. The employee may be required to
lift and to lower solutions on a frequent basis of up to 30 lbs.,
and on an occasional lift basis up to 40 lbs., as high as 5 feet.
There is a two-person assist program and "material assist" devices
for the heavier items.
* HighSchooldiplomaorG.E.D. required.
* Must have a valid PCT national certification or state specific
certification as defined by Center for Medicaid/Medicare Services
* Demonstrated commitment to organization culture, values, and
customer service standards
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
* At least two years previous patient care experience in a hospital
setting or a related facility preferred.
* Continued employment is dependent on successful completion of the
organization dialysis training program and successful completion of
understand what is expected of me in this position, and I am able
toperformtheessentialfunctions as outlined with or without
reasonable accommodation. Furthermore, I understand that the duties
of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements
of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is
similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. If I
have any questions about duties and responsibilities not specified
in this job description that I am asked
Employee Name (PleasePrint)
Home Therapies Program (Not Home Assist)
This list pertains to task performed in the Home Therapies program
under the direct supervision of the Home Therapies registered nurse
(HT RN) and in compliance with state law.
* May assist HT RN on Home Visit as directed
* Reinforces PD/HHD patient education under supervision of HT
Registered Nurse as permitted under state law
* Schedules and contacts patients regarding appointments
* Weigh patient and obtain vital signs
* Collect patient's treatment records and review for completion.
Notify RN of incomplete / missing records.
* Cleaning and prepping treatment room; preparing charts prior to
* Preparing lab tubes and requisitions & assisting with lab draw
days both pre and post draw (PCT certified phlebotomy or per state
* Clerical duties as assigned (faxing, mailing to physician offices
* Set-up of the home hemodialysis machine and PD Cycler
* Assist with exit site care when directed by HT RN
* Obtain home hemodialysis water and dialysate samples and process
for testing as directed by HT RN
* Perform water dialysate collection and processing for testing as
directed by the HT RN
* Creates and sends patient reminders (supply inventory for order,
Kt/V collection, bringing meds to clinic visit for review)
* Prepare initial patient chart for admission. Complies and
maintains medical records according to company policy and procedure
and in compliance with all appropriate regulatory requirements
* Maintains logs as directed and applicable
* Support patient registration and use of connected health
* Provide patient home support as indicated and permissible under
state law and applicable regulations
Inventory of Home Program
* Maintains par levels of home department supplies
* Files home patient packing slips/invoices
Inventory for Patients
* Assists patient with supply management and contacting customer
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free
workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
Keywords: Fresenius Medical Care, Oak Park , Patient Care Technician - PCT - Patient Care Tech, Professions , Oak Park, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!