General Pet Supply
Merchandiser Position Overview
Merchandiser is primarily responsible for store set, placing
orders to replenish inventory, receiving inventory and
merchandising of shelf space for our grocery customers, as well as
This position will have responsibility for providing service to
customers located in the Chicago Metro & Southern Suburb areas
including: Frankfort, Bolingbrook, Naperville, North Aurora,
Wheaton, Elmhurst, Oak Park, West Loop, South Loop. Ideal candidate
will be based within the territory.
General Pet Supply is a division of Central Garden & Pet
Company, a leading distribution company in the lawn and garden, and
pet supply industries. We are a dynamic, growth-oriented
distributor of pet food and supplies with operations based
throughout the Midwest.
Merchandiser Essential Job Functions
Visit grocery customers to merchandise the customer's order,
dust and straighten the department and place customer's order for
next service date.
Update store sets with new items and seasonal products.
Tag and price store pet departments.
Sell and merchandise displays and clip strips.
Acquire more shelf/floor space.
Locate/identify new account leads.
Communicate with store managers to build relationships and
promote the sale of shippers and displays.
Build product displays for customers on an as needed basis,
approximately one per month.
Responsible for submitting expense reports online to be approved
by the Vice President of Sales and Marketing for reimbursement.
Previous knowledge of the pet supply industry is beneficial.
Merchandiser Qualifications /
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Previous grocery or merchandising experience ideal.
- Knowledge and experience of setting a department.
- Excellent organization and communication (written and verbal)
skills. Must be able to read, write and speak English.
- Knowledge of computers and use of the Internet.
- Able to use and operate general office equipment including
10-key calculator, copy machine, fax machine, printer and
- Strong analytical skills and an understanding of sales concepts
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, have tactfulness
and be diplomatic. Must be able to work well with all vendors,
customers and departments within the Company.
- Must be a self-starter, work with minimal supervision, flexible
and able to work under tight deadlines.
- Must possess valid Driver's License, current automobile
insurance and reliable transportation.
- A larger vehicle (SUV/Van) is required in order to carry and
delivery product, displays, etc to some locations.
- Able to travel as necessary and work overtime on short
- Position requires long periods of driving (up to 3-4
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on a repetitive basis to
load/unload vehicle and stock store shelves.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status,
protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or
any other characteristic protected by law.