Client Office Phlebotomist - HealthLab, Part-time, Evenings (KD)
Company: Northwestern Memorial Healthcare
Location: Oak Park
Posted on: June 13, 2022
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a
difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first
approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare
industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the
opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter
where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At
Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive
benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k)
matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees.
Ready to join our quest for better?
***This is a part-time, 20 hours per week position located at a
client site in Oak Park. Must be able to work Monday through Friday
5pm - 9pm.***
The Client Office Phlebotomist reflects the mission, vision, and
values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and
Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant
policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and
- Performs phlebotomy and other lab specimen collections per age
- Provides appropriate post-phlebotomy patient care.
- Identifies need for patient medical assistance and call code as
- Reviews/Records refrigerator temperature(s) and QC/QA records.
Areas of concern are recorded through the Corrective Action Log and
reported to maintenance for repair. Findings are reported to
supervisor or manager.
- Use manual requisitions and labels specimens
- Label and process specimens according to establishes protocols
- Must effectively procure blood specimens from infant, adult,
geriatric, and wheelchair bound patients.
- Must demonstrate competency for age related
- Understands the operation and maintenance of equipment
pertinent to the job.
- Follows up with all outstanding orders on manifest log, and
communicates all timed, completed or uncompleted
draws/charges/results to the client office staff and performs other
duties as assigned.
- Requests/obtains written physician orders with all required
information necessary for lab services requested and accurately
orders laboratory tests in computer system(s).
- Prioritizes tasks and is able to multi-task.
- Performs and collects phlebotomy specimens within cost and
maintains efforts of a less than 2 percent recollection or
- Follows TJC National Patient Safety goals in regard to two
patient identifiers and handwashing.
- Presents a friendly, approachable, professional demeanor and
- Provides accurate information and timely updates to patients
- Addresses questions and concerns promptly, or identifies
appropriate person or recourse to do so.
- Demonstrates teamwork by helping co-workers within and across
- Communicates effectively with others, respects diverse opinions
and styles and acknowledges the assistance and contributions of
- Uses organizational and unit/department resources
- Manages work schedule efficiently, completing tasks and
assignments on time.
- Participates in efforts to reduce costs, streamline work
processes and improve and grow services we provide.
- Communicates and notifies Laboratory and/or Physician of
problems with specimen procurement to ensure optimal care.
- Provides follow up on test results to appropriate individuals
in a professional and courteous manner.
- Continuously updated on information by reading emails and
demonstrates compliance in MediaLab.
- Maintains a safe work environment, holds self-accountable for
safe work practices, performs all aspects of daily work in a manner
that contributes and ensures an environment of patient safety.
- Adheres to all recommendations and requirements of the Lab and
Hospital Safety Committee.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in a manner that optimizes
patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical
- Performs clerical work; faxing, printing, filing, reviewing,
and verbally releasing laboratory results.
- Initiates the meeting of responsibilities without prompting and
can complete tasks independently without immediate
- Demonstrates the values of team concept on a consistent
- Interacts with all team members in a professional manner and
aids/assists coworkers to complete assigned tasks.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Phlebotomy certification or training from a phlebotomy
school/institution or equivalent experience.
- New grads to one year of experience performing phlebotomy on a
broad range of patients types.
- Experience with processing lab specimens, transferring
specimens, and handling a centrifuge.
- Familiar with medical EMR systems.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Phlebotomy certification through nationally recognized
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the
basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender
identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any
other protected status.
Keywords: Northwestern Memorial Healthcare, Oak Park , Client Office Phlebotomist - HealthLab, Part-time, Evenings (KD), Healthcare , Oak Park, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!