Company: City of Oak Park
Location: Oak Park
Posted on: February 25, 2021
This position is responsible for the administration of the Oak
Park Library. Accountable for the management of a municipal library
collection and for the provision of library services to the public.
Duties include policy recommendation, departmental planning and
direction and administration of library activities. In addition
day-to-day operations of the City's library, this position performs
other duties as assigned. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS &
- Evaluates and administers library programs such as circulation,
reference, reader's advisory services, children's services, adult
services, community services, and public information.
- Acts as staff liaison to the Library Board by assisting with
meetings, preparing reports, and implementing suggested approved
- Prepares the annual departmental budget. Directs and controls
the expenditure of departmental fund allocations within the
constraints of approved budgets.
- Confers with State agencies, other public libraries,
corporations, and community groups in the development of library
programs and assists in coordinating interlibrary program
- Confers with the Library patrons to provide information and to
resolve problems and complaints.
- Directs the training of library staff in technical and
administrative library skills. Participates in personnel actions
such as hiring, termination, assignment, evaluation, and labor
- Represents the library on regional and state committees and
serves as the authority on library issues.
- Oversees the collection and accounting of fees and
- Attends City Council meetings as required.
- Supervises the library staff, directly or through appropriate
delegation, to create a harmonious team environment.
- Participates in the planning, organization, and management of
technical and automation services for the library.
- Directs a public relations program to promote and publicize the
library's collections, services, and programs within the
- Prepares grant requests to state and federal agencies and
non-profit foundations, and administers grant funds upon
- Prepares and maintains annual state library reports and
- Attends conferences, workshops, and meetings and reads
professional literature to stay informed on issues related to
library management and services.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates long and short term
departmental goals and objectives.
- Ensures the maintenance of library building equipment, and
- Performs other duties and special projects, as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, methods and practices
of professional library administration.
- Use critical thinking to effectively make decisions in an
environment of limited resources.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain satisfactory relations with
other employees through a high level of contact.
- Exceptional time management skills.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to reach with hands and arms, stand, walk, kneel,
crouch, sit, use hands to finger, grasp, handle, feel or operate
objects, tools or controls, see and hear.
- Ability to develop data and recommendations influencing
- Ability to operate computers with proficiency using library
software, word processing, and the Internet. QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master's Degree in Library Science from an accredited college
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience in
professional library work.
- The ability to obtain a State of Michigan Professional
Librarian Certification. PREFERRED:
- Possession of a State of Michigan Professional Librarian
Certification. SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS: The Library Director
must be available for all dates of assignment, including, but not
limited to, days, evenings, and weekends, as needed. Must also have
a valid driver's license and ability to travel to various locations
within the City. SALARY RANGE: This is a full-time position with
salary range of $65,000.00 to $90,000.00 annually, with benefits.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While per forming the duties
of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle,
or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employees must view and
create maps, plans and assorted computer files. The employee must
occasionally lift and/or move light-weight items. While performing
the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in a business
office setting but is also required to work in the field
occasionally and attend meetings after standard business hours. The
noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. GENERAL
REQUIREMENTS/DISCLAIMERS: The above statements are intended to
describe the general nature and level of work being performed by
people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be
construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties
of an employee so classified. Candidate must be physically able to
perform the essential functions of the position, with or without
reasonable accommodation. The City of Oak Park does not
discriminate in its employment or any other programs or activities
on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, national origin,
ancestry, ethnicity, gender, economic status, age, marital status,
sexual orientation or disability. We provide reasonable
accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability, if
requested. Apply Now with our quick 3 minute Application! * Fields
Are Required What is your full name? First Name How can we contact
you? Email Phone Number Number Type What is your preferred method
Keywords: City of Oak Park, Oak Park , Library Director, Executive , Oak Park, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!