The Active Adult Instructor
Company: OAK PARK PARK DISTRICT
Location: Oak Park
Posted on: November 14, 2022
Dole Center - Oak Park, IL
Part Time Class 3
During the week and weekend
Job Purpose: The Active Adult Instructor is responsible for leading
Active Adult (50+) recreation and leisure activities, which
includes but are not limited to: classes and special events.
Additionally, the Active Adult Instructor works with the Active
Adult Coordinators and Supervisor to plan and implement the
- Lead Active Adult (50+) recreation-based programs.
- Submits class suggestions, supply needs, and availability to
Active Adult Coordinators and Supervisor.
- Responsible for developing new programming and special event
information for the program guide.
- Responsible for taking attendant during classes.
- Instruct lessons to participants based on program description
- Guide and develop participants individual talents.
- Maintain cleanliness of facility and supplies as well as
properly storing and organizing equipment/materials on site.
- Monitor and maintain the safety of all participants.
- Communicate about daily activities and progress when
- Understand, communicate, and enforce Park District rules and
policies to the public.
- Attend all staff meetings and training programs as
- Create lesson that include a variety of activities to keep
participants active, excited, safe, and engaged. Instruct lesson
plans based on description, as well as initiate spontaneous
activities to accommodate agenda conflicts/changes.
- Address any participant behavior/disciplinary issues with the
- Provide excellent customer service and maintain a positive
public image by addressing questions and concerns from staff,
patrons, and participants immediately.
- Manage allotted budget and retain receipts, make purchases as
- Become familiar with participants; know their names,
personalities, skills and interests.
- Identify and observe equipment daily for possible maintenance
needs and adjustments; report maintenance needs to Supervisor.
- Communicates any concerns or issues with the Program
Coordinator and/or Supervisor.
- Keeps program supplies, equipment, and facility space clean,
organized, and safe.
- Inventories staff and participant apparel, program supplies and
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
- Assists during Community and Family Special events.
Knowledge, Skill and Work Experience Required:
- 1-3 years of experience of senior programming in a recreation
- Knowledge, experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office and
- Certification in advanced Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR),
First Aid, and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) within 3
months of employment. The District will provide this training.
- Ability to work with a wide range of senior participants
varying in ages, abilities, and interests.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision to solve problems
comprehensively and to produce accurate work within a set deadline
Work Environment, Physical Demands and Considerations:
- Frequently sitting, walking, standing and typing
- Occasionally climbing, balancing, kneeling, crawling
- Strength work requires handling average weight (up to 50 lbs.)
materials or equipment.
- May be exposed to occasional inclement weather as position will
require outdoor work
- Ability to present ideas and recommendations in a concise
verbal and written manner
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and/or written
instructions efficiently and effectively
- Ability to communicate with staff in a clear, concise verbal
and written manner
- Ability to use independent judgment and initiative to respond
to unexpected or unplanned events or demands
- Ability to interpret early warning signals and communicate
- Ability to involve others through informal networking and
involve others in decision making
- Ability to present oneself in a professional manner and speak
effectively to the public
Hours & Compensation:
$14.00 per hour. Hours vary (days, evenings, weekends) depending on
program offering and availability.
Internal: Other Park District staff
External: Patrons of Park District of Oak Park; residents of Oak
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties, functions or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, functions, activities or responsibilities may change at any
time with or without notice.
The Park District of Oak Park is an equal opportunity
Keywords: OAK PARK PARK DISTRICT, Oak Park , The Active Adult Instructor, Education / Teaching , Oak Park, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!